Display greek t4 d
by Zoe Haylock

9 Movies and Shows About College Life You MUST Watch

By Zoe Haylock - Sep 09 2015

Although TV can sometimes alter the reality of situations, it can be fun and informative to watch a dramatized version of the world you're about to enter. The characters are facing the same challenges you're about to encounter and it can offer some much needed insight into the decisions you'll make. While some lean towards reality, others tend to be way less believable, but every show is fun and insightful — just what you need before you head off on your new journey. 

1. "Greek" (2007)

One of my personal favorites, Greek hilariously depicts Greek Life at an eastern United States school, an area where frats and sororities dominate. The stories of siblings Rusty and Casey (complete opposites on the social spectrum) unfold and reveal drama, heartache, laughs and the importance of friendship during college. You can watch this show completely on Netflix! It only has a few seasons, so if you're a dedicate binge watcher, it won't take up too much time between classes. 

2.  "The Social Network" (2010) 

Despite being centered around Mark Zuckerburg, the movie frankly depicts life at Harvard and other universities. While creating Facebook, Zuckerburg utilized his knowledge of college students and what they like to facilitate the popularity of the project. It clearly worked. Moreover, the movie also includes the importance of what they call "finishing clubs" at Harvard; elite groups of students that are incredibly hard to get into. You can't find this on Netflix, but it's definitely out there for you to enjoy. 

3. "Legally Blonde" (2001)

The competition and pressure of college is made light-hearted by this classic movie. Although it's about law school and not undergrad, the sentiment is there. Sorority girl Elle Woods gets into Harvard Law School to follow her boyfriend and ends up being an amazing litigator. The movie is especially motivating for those who don't know what they want to major in yet — you never know how you'll find your calling! "Legally Blonde" is on Netflix and a short, fun watch for a night with your friends. 

4. "How to Get Away With Murder" (2014)

Another legal drama, this show is intense. The students interning at their professor's law firm have to balance, school, work and terrible secrets. While this is probably not the same situation you'll have in your entire career, it's almost life-destroyingly addicting to watch this show. The most relatable scenes are those where the students are competing in-class and studying. Their dedication and stress are two things I'm sure you'll be able to relate to sooner or later. Find this show's first and only season so far on Hulu Plus, just in time to catch up before the new season begins. 

5. "Monsters University" (2013)

A children's movie is exactly what you need to distract from the stress of college. It's hilarious, fun and uplifting. The movie focuses on how even the most unlikely friendships can arise, if you let them. The fact that they're monsters is an afterthought to the constant jokes and crazy antics. This movie is somewhat recent, so you may be able to find it at a RedBox machine or online!

6. 22 Jump Street (2014)

This purely comedic movie is packed with hilarity. You don't need to watch the first one in order to have fun here. Two detectives go undercover as college students and end up having to struggle with the same things we might: friendships, relationships, studying and busting bad guys. Another recent movie, it's online with Google Play!

7. "The Roommate" (2011)

All your roommate fears come to life in this thriller. A girl's college roommate beings to emulate and obsess with her to the point where it gets dangerous. My favorite part of this movie is that the similarities between Leighton Meester (Gossip Girl) and Minka Kelly (Friday Night Lights) are uncanny; they could be siblings! Amazon and Google Play have this movie. Plus, if you get an Amazon Prime Student account (learn more here!) and upgrade, you'll get movies for free! 

8. "Community" (2009)

This sitcom about a lawyer who goes back to school at a community college and ends up getting very close with the other members at study group where they open up about themselves. With six seasons, it may not be something to watch quickly, but the humor will definitely make the episodes fly by. Did I mention it stats Donald Glover, also known as the rapper, "Childish Gambino"? If you're a fan of his music, you may love his acting, too! You can watch this on Yahoo! Screens or Hulu Plus when you sign up for a free trial. 

Take a break from the stress of school and watch these awesome movies and shows. You can even make it a date with your friends as a way to get pumped for your new lives! 

Lead Image Credit: ABC Family

Zoe Haylock - New York University – Abroad

Zoë Haylock is an incoming freshman at New York University's London campus, where she plans on majoring in journalism. She runs a fashion and lifestyle blog called "I'd Rather Be On Fifth Ave". When she isn't reading, she's tweeting @zoe1ugh1.