Display cat with money
by Zoe Haylock

6 Discounts Every College Student Needs

By Zoe Haylock - Jul 29 2015

All kinds of companies want college students to use their brand for so many reasons. College students share, are still at an age where they want to buy things like crazy and they make things cool. For example, Facebook started on a college campus. Zuckerberg owes the students at Harvard and the other schools it traveled to for making his site as big as it is now. Even companies that are already huge want in on the action so they discount their products to attract buyers. It's basically your duty as a college student to soak in these savings. Besides, when it comes down to it, it means more money for things that matter to you.

1. Apple Student

Apple offers discounts for college students on all Apple products, but it's especially helpful for those who need a laptop. Macs are awesomely built computers and Apple understands your desperate need to write notes and draft your mixtape with ease and with little expense. If you can't pay it all in full, it also offers a monthly payment plan with few ploys. It's the best excuse possible for you to get rid of your old laptop and try something new.

If you're seriously not an Apple fan, Sony, Dell and HP all also offer discounts for students.

2. Amazon Student

You can use Amazon to find books, movies, gifts and really anything else you need. With Amazon Prime, however, you can get free two-day shipping and unlimited access to movies, TV shows, music and books. Plus, it offers free unlimited photo storage. The best part? Amazon Prime is free for college students for six months. That's five months more than the typical free trial lasts. This is perfect for the first semester where you're just settling in. You can easily get things you forgot or didn't know you'd need on Amazon fast. After the first six months, you can get Amazon Prime for half off and let the savings continue.

3. Tickets

Many major venues offer discounts for students, including The Lincoln Center, Museum of Modern Art, The Houston Ballet and Carnegie Hall.

The New York Mets tickets can be purchased for just $10 with a valid ID. Tickets for the Washington Nationals are discounted 25 percent for students.

Both AMC and Cinemark offer student discounts on movie tickets. For AMC, you have to go on a certain day of the week and Cinemark has a limited number of theatres that offer this, but it's definitely worth researching.

4. Cellphones

AT&T, Verizon, Cricket, T-Mobile and Sprint all offer discounts for students, but they vary by school. All you have to do is call to find out what they offer for your area and you could save a lot on your cellphone bill.

5. Newspapers

If a professor requires you to read a newspaper, don't pay the cover price. The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and The Economist have discounts on subscriptions for students. Students can get The Wall Street Journal for 75 percent off the cover price, plus you get access to online versions.

4. Clothing retailers

Unidays offer discounts on a myriad of different retailers, like Urban Outfitters, Claire's, ASOS and more online brands. The catch is that you have to study at a location in the United Kingdom. However, if you're studying abroad, you can still reap the benefits for as long as you need, even once you're back in the states. There's little security. Simply enter your school and use your school email address. It may even be possible for students attending a school with a UK campus, even if they aren't staying there.

Otherwise, Jo-Ann will give 10 percent off on a purchase for students, which may prove very helpful for art students or enthusiasts.

5. Food

My favorite section of this article, the food establishments listed here give the most necessary discounts for college.

Subway, Burger King, Buffalo Wild Wings, Waffle House, Arby's, McDonalds and Dairy Queen each offer 10 percent off of your purchase at certain locations. It may seem like a small, pointless discount, but a little goes a long way.

Chipotle, Qdoba and Chick-fil-A will give you a free drink with your purchase when you present your student ID at certain locations. This is definitely a worthwhile discount considering drinks can sometimes be more than $3.

The International Student Identity Card (ISIC) was developed with traveling students in mind. For a minimum of $25, you purchase a card that verifies your full-time student status and allows you to get discounts on anything from food to hotel rooms, depending on where you are.

Even if you're not a starving artist or stereotypically poor college student, you should take advantage of these offers as often as possible. You'll never know what you can do with the money you save.

Lead Image Credit: Stickr

Zoe Haylock - New York University – Abroad

Zoë Haylock is an incoming freshman at New York University's London campus, where she plans on majoring in journalism. She runs a fashion and lifestyle blog called "I'd Rather Be On Fifth Ave". When she isn't reading, she's tweeting @zoe1ugh1.