Display ratatouille
by Zoe Haylock

12 Easy Recipes for College Freshmen

By Zoe Haylock - Jul 02 2015

Most colleges require freshmen to have a meal plan where you buy their food, but for those who have to cook on their own, the task can look incredibly daunting.

But don’t be afraid! There are so many easy meals online that you can replicate by yourself. These don’t include stuff you can get out of a box. These recipes are healthy (I use this term very loosely), quick and tasty. Yummy and easy? You’ve got to try them.

Breakfast

1. Avocado Toast

Modern Daydream

This super yummy and energy-fueling snack can be eaten at any time of the day. I mix jalapeños into my mashed avocado for an extra hint of spice. Also a good option: putting bacon on top.

2. Potato Omelet

Ella Claire

This recipe calls for pork, but it’s definitely a viable vegetarian option. Plus, it’s super easy to customize with your favorite veggies or cheese.

3. Vanilla Mocha Protein Shake

For those with early classes and a stomach that prefers eating later in the day, this drink is for you. The protein gives you those breakfast nutrients necessary to get you going and the coffee wakes you up while you run out the door.

Lunch

4. Avocado Bacon Grilled Cheese

Inspired Dreamer

By far my favorite meal of the day, lunches need to be fulfilling but not too heavy. This one is perfect for that and you can take it on the go! Tip: Substitute pork bacon for turkey bacon. Leaner fats won’t weigh you down and tastes just as good.

5. Spinach Roll Ups

Can't Stay Out of the Kitchen

I love a good roll up. These are crazy healthy, but you won’t even tell until you’ve already fallen in love. With tastes like bacon and bell peppers, these roll ups are a delicious and light option. Also try: spinach roll ups with cranberry cream cheese and turkey breast. To die for, trust me.

6. Pizza Grilled Cheese

Forkful of Comfort

I don’t think I have to say much to get you running to the grocery store. Pizza. Grilled. Cheese. It speaks for itself.

Dinner

7. Garlic Bread Pizza

Mommy Hates Cooking

Did someone mention pizza? Instead of spending too much money on delivery, make these cute, individual pizzas for you and your roommates for half the cost. Like any homemade pizza, add your favorite toppings to taste!

8. Seven Layer Tostada

Kalyn's Kitchen

This vegetarian option can fill you up without being too fattening. Add or take away ingredients you won’t eat. I’d say “Adios!” to the olives and introduce my tostada to some yummy jalapeños.

9. Taco Bake

Goodeness Gracious

Despite not being very healthy, this meal will get you through nights when you’re feeling a little crummy and more than willing to eat a lot of nacho cheese.

Dessert

10. Cupid Floats

Somewhat Simple

If you’re like me and not too into Root Beer Floats, try this sweet alternative. Perfect for a quick sugar boost, these Cupid Floats are so easy to make with ingredients you can use for so many other recipes.

11. No Eggs No Bake Chocolate Mousse Cake

Gimme Delicious

Two things I love: chocolate and simplicity. Just combine this short list of ingredients, let the cake sit for a while and eat whenever you’d like. To make it even easier, buy an Oreo pie crust pre-made and save yourself from another dish to wash.

12. Mango Strawberry Smoothie

The Penny Wise Mama

Instead of using fresh fruit for this recipe, I buy bags of frozen fruit. Not only can you use them in smoothies, but you can also pack a few in the morning and after your first class they’ll be thawed and ready to snack on.

There are many more options out there for you to discover. For more recipes, check out my Pinterest board “College Cookbook” for everything from healthy snacks to guilty pleasures.

Lead Image Credit: Pixar Animation Studios and Walt Disney Pictures

Zoe Haylock - New York University – Abroad

Zoë Haylock is an incoming freshman at New York University's London campus, where she plans on majoring in journalism. She runs a fashion and lifestyle blog called "I'd Rather Be On Fifth Ave". When she isn't reading, she's tweeting @zoe1ugh1.