by Zoe Forest

10 Inspirational Quotes for Final Exam Cheat Sheets

By Zoe Forest - Dec 04 2017

Several professors, especially those of STEM classes, allow students to bring a piece of paper with whatever they want written on it into the final. This tool is incredibly useful, but it can be difficult to know what to include. Formulas? Definitions? Example problems? While you definitely want to include that information, it would be impossible to cram everything onto one sheet of paper. You can't rewrite your textbook and the more you write, the more time you will have to spend during the final deciphering your cheat sheet. Something very useful to have on the sheet, something often overlooked, is an inspirational quote. In the depths of the final exam sometimes you need something to help you focus and push through to the end. Here is a list of 10 inspirational quotes to put on your final exam cheat sheet.

1. "Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment, full effort is full victory." -Mahatma Ghandi

Ultimately, you cannot control your final grade. All you can do is work your hardest on the exam and if you put in full effort, you can walk away satisfied. 

2. "In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity." -Albert Einstein

Finals are hard, but they are also your chance to show off everything you have learned throughout the semester and the chance to solidify your grade. Take advantage of the opportunity in finals.

3. "Don't think about tomorrow. Think about the task at hand." -Unknown

Especially when an exam is difficult, it is easy to let your mind wander. But you must stay focused on the exam. It is only a few hours of your life, but it can have a huge impact. 

4. "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try one more time." -Thomas Edison

Never give up on a final, no matter how difficult. If you find yourself giving up on an especially difficult problem, just keep trying one more time.

5. "Don't stop when you are tired, stop when you are done." -Unknown

Finals are exhausting, but you can't let exhaustion get the best of you. Finals are only a few hours and it is important to push through until the very end.

6. "Everything you do now is for your future. Think about that." -Unknown

If you need more tough love, think about how this final can impact the rest of your life. It could determine your grade in a certain course which can determine which courses you take in later years. 

7. "Don't stop until you're proud." -Unknown

If you are unsatisfied with an essay or your work on a problem, keep going. Don't accept decent work, push through until you achieve something great. 

8. "Don't disappoint the future you." -Thomas Frey

The future you will always regret that you didn't work just a little harder on that final, so push through until you are satisfied with your work. 

9. "You're doing better than you think. I'm proud of you, keep going, you've got this." -Unknown

If you feel completely lost and hopeless, reassure yourself with this quote. Stay positive and optimistic. 

10. "Happiness is having finished all of your exams." -Unknown

Just think about all the joy you will have after the three or four hour final is over. 

Finals can be long, difficult and exhausting. We all need a push to finish finals and put forth our best effort until the very end. Sometimes the difference between giving up and enduring through can be a motivational quote. If your professor allows a "cheat" sheet, consider putting one of these quotes (or something else you find inspirational) on your sheet. 

Zoe Forest - University of California, Berkeley