by Zach Lang

LSU Looks To Rebuild After Their Head Coach Was Fired

By Zach Lang - Sep 28 2016

Les Miles was officially fired as Louisiana State University's head coach Sunday alongside Offensive Coordinator Cam Cameron, according to ESPN

His reign as the Tiger's coach ended after a horrific loss (18-13) to unranked Auburn, a conference opponent. Miles had a winning record of 114 - 34 in the past 11 years at LSU, boasting the best winning percentage in school history at 77 percent. 

Ed Orgeron has been named the interim head coach to take over the 2-2 team.

This quick change of leadership for LSU may be exactly what the team needs to turn this season around. Despite Miles' impressive winning record and a BCS Championship trophy, he never truly developed a full-fledged offense. Running back Leonard Fournette has been the staple of the offense for the past couple of years with his running ability, but the team's passing game has been far below standards for a ranked team in the SEC. This prompted Miles to change starting quarterbacks from Brandon Harris to Danny Etling, but the team still underperformed.

Granted, in the past Miles had a good passing offense with Zach Mettenberger, Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry, but they still could not compete with other SEC teams. Alabama has set the golden standard of what a college team should strive to be, winning many recent championships and sending countless players to the NFL. 

LSU must have realized under Miles, the team would never meet that standard. The irony in this is that Nick Saban, Alabama's treasured head coach, was Miles' predecessor at LSU with a record of 48-16.

Whether or not Orgeron is the answer to LSU's offensive woes remains to be proven, but if not the team will have to search for a new head coach. Three big names have popped up if Orgeron does not get the full time job: Houston's HC Tom Herman, Florida State HC and former LSU OC Jimbo Fisher and former Baylor coach Art Briles. 

Tom Herman would be an interesting fit as Houston has emerged as a contender this year. Jimbo Fisher, however, might not be so easily taken from Florida State as they continue to light up the ACC. 

Art Briles might turn the most heads. He was recently fired from his HC job at Baylor after a scandal was uncovered in which many Baylor football players were involved in sexual assault and rape instances, but their cases were hushed. This resulted in major changes for Baylor's overall sports program as many positions lost their jobs, but Art Briles remains confident that his resume will get him a job as HC of a contending BCS team.  

As for LSU's current status, they simply need to focus not so much on winning games, but instead boosting morale. Rebuilding a team, especially a college team, takes time. By boosting morale, LSU can hope to get better recruits for next fall and become a serious contender in the SEC next season.

Lead Image Credit: NOLA.com via YouTube

Zach Lang - Syracuse University