by Zach Lang

5 Stats That Define Last Weekend's College Football Games

By Zach Lang - Sep 15 2016

This week in college football saw upsets, a play that should not have happened, and stats that are beyond comprehension.  Let's take a look at some of the most unbelievable stats from this past week.

5. Donnel Pumphrey- RB, San Diego State 

Pumphrey led the FBS in rushing yards for week 2 and contributed heavily in the win over Cal.  He ran in impressive 9.7 yards per carry, scoring three touchdowns on 29 carries.  With this production, expect San Diego State to pound the ball with Pumphrey moving forward.

4. Shelton Gibson- WR, West Virginia 

Gibson may have only caught six balls in the contest against Youngstown State, but each one counted big.  He recorded 171 yards receiving and two touchdowns, averaging a whopping 28.5 yards per catch.  Defensive backs better not let this guy out of their sight.

3. Davis Webb- QB, Cal

Cal may have lost to San Diego State, but Davis Webb was allowed to sling the ball all day.  He had five touchdowns and three interceptions, throwing for a massive 522 yards.  The biggest stat, however, is that he was given the chance to throw the ball 72 times!  He completed 41 of these passes, an impressive feat.

2. Drew Lock- QB, Missouri

Lock led the Tigers to an impressive 61-21 win over Eastern Michigan, throwing for 450 yards and five touchdowns.  What is most impressive is that he was 24-37 on passes, giving him a .649 completion percentage.

1. Lamar Jackson- QB, Louisville

It's no surprise that Lamar Jackson has the top spot.  He annihilated Syracuse's defense, leading the Cardinals to a 62-28 win.  Jackson was 20-39 in the air with 411 yards, one touchdown, and one interception.  His bigger impact was on the ground where he ran for 199 yards on 21 carries, contributing four more touchdowns on 9.5 yards per carry.  Just two games into the season, Jackson is responsible for 13 touchdowns alone.  Warning, he may not be human.  

Lead Image Credit: ACC Digital Network via YouTube

Zach Lang - Syracuse University