Display hans vivek 176134
by Yu Chien Wang

8 Indie Songs You Don't Want To Miss

By Yu Chien Wang - Feb 21 2017

As the semester is progressing, stress is piling up like the snow in upstate New York. With all that's happening, it's important to wind down at times. Here are eight indie rock tunes that will help you loosen up a bit. Indie rock is a form of alternative rock and if you are not familiar with it, you might happen to really like it. 

1. "You Are The Right One" by Sports

Sports is an American Indie rock band that produces dreamy tunes. This song has an underwater vibe to it. Since it's a moderate tempo song, it is great to relax and wind down to. Its music video is nothing like mainstream music's typical music videos. Check them out with an open mind and I guarantee it's going to be a song that will be put on replay.

2. "Breezeblocks" by Alt-j

I simply cannot write about Indie rock bands and not mention the catchy tunes Alt-j produces. Not bringing up Alt-j is like talking about a high IQ without mentioning Einstein. Alt-J has the most poetic lyrics. Take a deeper look at the lyrics and be astonished by their depth and richness. 

3. "Do I Wanna Know" by Arctic Monkeys 

This song is one of the classics of this British Indie rock band produced in 2013. This tune carries a slightly heavier emotional weight with its lyrics and its progressions throughout the whole song. This music video is interesting to look at  and is very characteristic to style of the Arctic Monkeys. 

4.  "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" by The Smiths 

The Smiths is a very unique brand established in the 80s. This band has a rich history just like the music they produced. This song is featured in the film "500 Days Of Summer" starred by Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon Levitt, which makes this song even more meaningful, especially since this song is the tune that connected Summer Finn and Tom in the movie.The Smiths have their own style of composing due to the brilliant work of writer Johnny Marr. Take a closer listen to this song and let the voice of Morrissey bring you back in time. 

5. "Creep" by Radiohead

The English Indie rock band Radiohead thrived around the time The Smiths were coming out with hits. This is one most well known songs by Radiohead. This song pretty much sums up some of our teenage heartbreak feels. Take a seat and enjoy this music video as Thom Yorke's voice sucks you into the magic of music. Also, Radiohead is touring this year! 

6. "Mykonos" by Fleet Foxes

This is my absolute favorite tune of all time. Last year when I was browsing through YouTube and stumbled upon Fleet Foxes, I made sure everyone knew that I fell in love with their music. Fleet Foxes is an American Indie rock band that was formed in Seattle, Washington. Besides their wonderful hit, Mykonos, their other songs are also very nicely crafted and they all just flow effortlessly. Definitely give Fleet Foxes three minutes and forty-eight seconds of your time and let the magic happen. Check out their cool graphics in the music video!! 

7. "Horchata" by Vampire Weekend 

The best way to get to know a band is to watch them live. This live video of the American Indie rock band gives us a peek of how free the performers are on stage. The audience and the band seem like they are both having a great time. This light tune brings in good vibes only. Their fun little twist on the instrumental adds color and electric vibes to this already beautifully written song. Lay back and sip on your horchata while this song accompanies you. 

8. "Feels Like We Only Go Backwards" by Tame Impala

This song will give you the feels, brought to you by the wonderful Tame Impala from Australia. This tune was all over the radio when it first came out and it continues to be talked about and listened to. If you haven't listened to this song yet, I hope this becomes your new favorite song ever. 

Lead Image Credit: Hans Vivek via Unsplash

Yu Chien Wang - Syracuse University