Display freshu
by Victoria Cheng

This Teen Cleaned Up Used Fireworks On The Fourth Of July And Twitter Approves

By Victoria Cheng - Jul 08 2017

On the Fourth of July in America, people flocked the beaches for barbecues during the day and fireworks at night, but this teen had a different agenda when she was on the beach on that night. Instead of lighting up fireworks on the beach, Sierra Post cleaned up used firework packages that were left on North Myrtle Beach in South Carolina.

“They were everywhere and within hours they would have been swallowed by the ocean,” Post said. “I knew it would have not only polluted our ocean further, but also would harm the surrounding sea life.”

With a passion for saving the planet, Post believes that problems such as global warming and overfishing are paramount and need to be fixed before the problems worsen even further.

“We only have one planet,” she said. “We are starting to face really bad environmental issues due to human carelessness. As of right now, scientists are predicting fish-less oceans by 2050. This is a really scary reality people don't want to face.”

Post fashioned her tweet of her carrying the used firework packages into the recently popular "nothing but respect for MY president" tweets. Post's tweet went viral with over 100,000 likes and 30,000 retweets. Surprised by the positive response from the internet, Post took the chance to spread more knowledge of the growing threat of pollution and climate change.

“I was shocked honestly,” she said. “Once my sister told me she saved the video, I told her to send it to me because I thought it would be a funny ‘MY president’ meme. Once I saw it blowing up that's when I decided to add some more informational tweets about others ways people could help under it.”

Recently, President Trump withdrew the United States out of the Paris Climate Accord, an agreement signed 194 countries and the European Union to limit the global temperature rise to less than 2° Celsius. This would undo not only Post’s efforts to heal the planet, but also the country’s efforts from the past years.

“[The government is] moving in the absolute opposite direction of where we need to be going,” Post said “That's why it's now so important to take strides in our daily lives to reduce our negative impact on the environment. This soon may be the only defense we have.”

Despite the President’s standstill towards climate change, Post hopes that through her actions and her video, she can motivate other people to do their part and help heal Earth.

“I hope this makes others feel inspired to start taking steps to help better our planet,” Post said.

Lead Image Credit: Sierra Post via Twitter

Victoria Cheng -

Victoria Cheng is a freshman studying journalism at Baruch College in New York. She loves to drink tea, read and sing just about any type of music. Follow her on Instagram @itsviccctoria