by Uzma Jamil

Hate Crimes Are Happening On College Campuses Across the United States

By Uzma Jamil - Nov 10 2016

On November 9th, 2016, Donald J. Trump became the President-Elect of the United States. On November 9th, 2016, people woke up scared for what's to come next. This election season has been a scary experience for many groups of people, including Muslims, immigrants and people of color. After the results of the election were announced, many individuals feared what to come next. 

Within the first day, several hate crimes occurred and spread viral all over Twitter. Fresh U rounded up and reached out to victims of hate crimes.

Shaun King is updating heavily on Twitter and Facebook about hate crimes happening around the country.

Many Muslims feel fearful about leaving their homes and facing discrimination from others. Several Muslims students at Nova Southeastern University, have bought pepper spray and avoid going anywhere alone after hearing about what happened to a woman who wore a hijab in Louisiana. She was attacked and had her hijab ripped off by a man wearing a Trump hat. 

Also at New York University, the Muslim students' prayer room was vandalized and had "Trump" written over it. 

In Georgia, a student who asked to remain anonymous, was called a "terrorist" at the red light on his daily commute to school. The experience was a "upsetting" experience for him and he hopes "everything calms down and people to learn to be stronger together."

In Florida, another student who asked to remain anonymous, had her mother's car's tires slashed and Trump written all over her car. She called the whole experience "frightening" and wants these "heinous acts to end."

A student at the University of Minnesota- Twin Cities was told to "go back to Asia"  and was continued to be attacked, even after she walked away from her harrasser.

The hate crimes took place in several high schools and lower-level schools as well.

Several people of color, including Blacks and Latinos were also victims of hate crimes. The LGBTQ+ community have also been attacked for their beliefs.

As a country, we must be united. Our differences make us stronger and we can't be divided. America is great when we all stand together and protect one another. We all are Americans and we can not allow one American be discriminated against. Stand up if you see a hate crime and don't let your voice be silenced.

Lead Image Credit: Contra Costa Times

Uzma Jamil - Nova Southeastern University

Uzma Jamil is a freshman at Nova Southeastern University majoring in Political Science. She also has her own personal blog, ujthoughts.wordpress.com and loves reading more than anything in this world.