by Uzma Jamil

7 Writers Share Why They're Involved In Fresh U

By Uzma Jamil - Apr 02 2017

When I first heard about Fresh U, I was so intrigued that there was an online publication for freshmen, by freshmen. Kate, the founder and CEO of Fresh U, had posted in Nova Southeastern University's Class of 2020 page with the application. Nervously, I applied and by June, I was part of the Fresh U team. By July, I was promoted from contributing writer to a staff writer. The opportunities at Fresh U are endless and the amount of friends I made through it is actually amazing. For me personally, Fresh U has become one of the best parts of my college career. I reached out to other Fresh U writers to talk about their experiences and why they write for Fresh U.

1. Kamrin Baker, Staff Writer, University of Nebraska-Omaha

"I love that I have the opportunity to write fun listicles, but also tell real stories and write about my experiences, so I think I've gained a lot of diversity in my writing from being a contributing and staff writer here."

Check out Kamrin's articles, such as How I Am Learning to Love My College Body and 6 Brands of Ramen to Try When You're Tired of Maruchan (an article she did with her boyfriend trying out different Ramen noodles, talk about goals!). Kamrin's article, "Upperclassmen Reveal Regrets from Freshman Year" was also republished on Teen VogueYou can also follow her on Instagram.

2. A.T. Thomas, Contributing Writer, Connecticut College

"Writing for Fresh U has allowed me to be more transparent, learn how to structure my writing so it's cohesive and encourage people through my words."

With articles giving advice Advice to a Burned-Out High School Senior (which was also republished on Teen Vogue!) and sharing his experiences at his first protest, A.T. has covered it all! Make sure to follow him on Instagram!

3. Re'Nyqua Farrington, Contributing Writer, Nova Southeastern University

Majoring in English education, writing has always been a passion for Re'Nyqua. Fresh U has allowed her to grow as a person and writer, as well as contribute to multiple Teen Vogue articles. When asked about her favorite part about Fresh U, she said:

"How connected Kate is with everybody, from the staff to the newest contributing writer on the team, she is always easy to reach and super supportive."

Follow her on Instagram and check out her latest article on Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos!

4. Samantha Lusurdo, Contributing Writer, Marymount Manhattan College

"I love writing and it was something that would help me meet people even before I actually got to my college."

Fresh U has not only provided an outlet for Samantha to write on, but also provided her with a sense of community! Fresh U writers often work alongside with students at different schools and make incredible connections. Check out Samantha's first article about how to adjust to college and don't forget to follow her on Instagram!

5. Zoe Plumb, Contributing Writer, Roger Williams University

From being part of the social media team and writing articles as a contributing writer, Zoe has gained experiences from different aspects of online journalism.

"To see if I would want to go into online journalism... and to [be able] to carer my writing to specific audiences."

Check out her article 7 Lessons I Learned Coming Out as Bisexual in High School!

6. Alexis Solorzano, Contributing Writer, University of California, Davis

"[Fresh U] has allowed me to become more confident in my writing and pushed my creativity more so than I think I could have without it. The opportunity to be published on a platform such as Fresh U doesn't come very often but I'm lucky that it did for me."

Alexis has written 7 Questions People Going to 'Unknown' Schools Are Tired of Being Asked and published many more unique articles through Fresh U. She also contributed to an original Teen Vogue article, 'Should Online Trolls Be Allowed to Speak at Universities?' Make sure to follow Alexis on Instagram!

7. Shelby Nicole Everett, Contributing Writer, Nova Southeastern University

As an activist and feminist, Shelby has found an outlet to speak about issues that matter to her. Her favorite part about Fresh U is:

"I'm able to express myself on such a national level, and I'm given such an important platform to educate and inform others."

Check out her latest article on mental health and her experiences. Her Instagram is @shelbynicole.xo!

As a Fresh U writer, you are given so many opportunities to express yourself and a community to call your second family. Class of 2021, join the Fresh U team and maybe next year, you'll be featured in an article like this!

Uzma Jamil - Nova Southeastern University

Uzma Jamil is a freshman at Nova Southeastern University majoring in Political Science. She also has her own personal blog, ujthoughts.wordpress.com and loves reading more than anything in this world.