Display terryatrium nsu
by Uzma Jamil

8 Facts You Didn't Know About Nova Southeastern University

By Uzma Jamil - Apr 25 2017

In the heart of Davie, Nova Southeastern University (NSU) is home to thousands of students. It has been in the foundation in Fort Lauderdale's history since 1964 and continues to give back to the community. NSU students, better known as the Sharks, continue to fall in love with the university every day. Here are some facts you may have not known about NSU.

1. Research, research, and more research!

Recently, a Center for Collaborative Research opened and almost 200 research projects are being conducted by researchers, NSU professors and even NSU students. Research ranges from autism to anti-cancer therapy. As NSU students, you have the opportunity to work alongside researchers and professors on their project as well as presenting it at the Undergraduate Student Symposium. You can even visit the center if you want or schedule a tour!

Wikimedia Commons

2. Nova meets Southeastern.

Nova Southeastern University was once two separate universities that merged together in 1994. Nova University of Advanced Technology was a graduate school that focused on physical and social sciences while Southeastern University centered around the medical field. In 1994, both universities merged and "the rest is history." The location of the university has also moved constantly from Las Olas to Davie.

Wikimedia Commons

3. Oatmeal Club.

Nova University was found by a group of businessmen who had breakfast together daily. Known as the Oatmeal Club, these men wanted to start "the MIT of the South." Nova Southeastern University now serves as a home to thousands of Sharks and is a leader in research projects.

4. Shark athletics.

NSU doesn't have a football team, but students have free season passes to the Miami Dolphins. While we don't have a football team, we have D-II Basketball, D-II Soccer, D-II Baseball, tennis and rowing, so there are a lot of opportunities to show your NSU pride. Our baseball team also won D-II Nationals in 2016!

Uzma Jamil

5. Scuba diving.

There is a class available where you can learn how to scuba dive and get certified! This opportunity is so amazing because you get credits for it and it's a great experience overall. This class fills up easily so be sure to sign up as soon as registration opens.

6. Book overload!

The Alvin Sherman Library is "one of the the largest in the state of Florida," so you will always have a study room available! Also, the library has a partnership with Broward County libraries so there are always fun events and plenty of resources available. The library has five floors (although the fifth floor is under construction) with several types of rooms offered. On the first floor, you will find hidden tables by the OIT center. On the third floor, there is the collaborative room which is perfect for study groups. Find your favorite spot in the library!

Sadia Khan

7. Humans of NSU.

We have a Humans of NSU page, so you may be featured soon! The page is run by a junior finance major, Sadia Khan. She started it because she wanted to show the NSU spirit through pictures. Like her page on Facebook! You can learn about your fellow Sharks through this page.

Uzma Jamil

8. You can be an undergraduate and graduate student at the same time.

You can dual admit to NSU's medical or law school as an undergraduate student through the D.O. program. You would have a seat reserved for you in either school as long as you meet the requirements and keep your grades up. This is a useful option because you will have admission to a medical or law school while you're still an undergrad. You would have to meet their requirements and keep your grades up, but that isn't a challenge for most Sharks.

Nova Southeastern University has easily become a home away from home for me. I've found so many friends and grown as a person because of the opportunities available to me. While these are only eight facts about NSU, trust me when I say there is so much to learn at Nova and so many hidden treasures. Class of 2021 Sharks, welcome to the family.

Lead Image Credit: Wikimedia Commons

Uzma Jamil - Nova Southeastern University

Uzma Jamil is a freshman at Nova Southeastern University majoring in Political Science. She also has her own personal blog, ujthoughts.wordpress.com and loves reading more than anything in this world.