by Uzma Jamil

7 Ways to Improve Your Time Management

By Uzma Jamil - Mar 22 2017

In our first year of college, we all learn the importance of time management in different ways. Some of us take on freshman year with our planners color coded and different apps to keep us motivated while others leave our assignments for the absolute last minute. The greatest thing about college is that your goal is to constantly improve, so don't be afraid to acknowledge your strengths and weakness so you can improve. Fresh U has provided their top tips to improve your time management.

1. Invest in a planner.

This is probably one of the best investments a college student can make. Planners keep you accountable and remind you of important due dates as well as events happening on campus. One of the great things about planners is that it is up to you how you want to use it and which version of it. There are online planners, such as Google Calendars, which are completely free. There are also paper planners that are as cheap as a dollar (check out Target's one dollar spot!) and as expensive as fifty dollars. You can also choose to personalize and organized through color code or not. It is completely up to you. For some suggestions, check out the video below!

2. SelfControl.

This app is a game changer. In this app, you can list out all the websites that distract you and this app will make sure you are blocked from the websites. You can set the timer to the amount of time you want to spend on your work and it will ensure that you are not distracted.

3. Incentives.

This sounds a bit childish, but placing incentives for yourself when you accomplish your goals will motivate you more. Establishing small rewards for every major assignment milestone can keep you accountable and excited to mark items off of your to-do lists.

4. Learn to say "no."

It is completely OK to tell your friends or family no when you have assignments or studying to do. Too often, you might feel bad for turning down their offer to hang out but you have to prioritize your education as well.

5. Do your hardest task first.

By focusing on your hardest assignment, you are able to focus on it completely and give it your all. If you leave it until the absolute end, your motivation will be at the lowest and you will continue to push it off.

6. Give yourself breaks.

Do not expect to be able to focus on doing five hours worth of work without a break. Give yourself reasonable breaks and do productive things in between tasks.

7. Study Lockdown.

Similar to SelfControl, this app will block any social media on your phone while you are studying. While SelfControl is on your laptop, this app is on your phone. You may have to say goodbye to your Snapchat streak briefly, but trust me it, will pay off.

These are Fresh U's top tips when it comes to time management. Good luck on your academic endeavors!

Lead Image Credit: Miphotography via Pixabay

Uzma Jamil - Nova Southeastern University

Uzma Jamil is a freshman at Nova Southeastern University majoring in Political Science. She also has her own personal blog, and loves reading more than anything in this world.