by Uzma Jamil

6 Podcasts Every College Student Should Listen To

By Uzma Jamil - Aug 04 2016

Podcasts are society's hidden gems; not many people know about them and podcasts are often overlooked. From murder investigations to empowering interviews, there are podcasts for virtually everything. Whether you are commuting to school or you want something to listen to on your next run, here is my top six podcast recommendations:

1. Serial

I had to begin this list with Serial because it sparked my love for podcasts. Hosted by Sarah Koenig, each season of Serial is centered around a different event which is analyzed over a course of several episodes. Season one of Serial centered around Hae Min Lee's murder and Adnan Syed's potential connection to it, whereas season two followed Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl who was held hostage by the Taliban for five years. If you like in-depth analysis and investigative journalism, this is the podcast for you.

Available on: Spotify, Itunes, Pandora and the Serial website.

This American Life

2. Undisclosed 

I couldn't mention Serial without including Undisclosed; this podcast centers around Adnan Syed from Serial season one but more in depth. Rabia Chaudry, Susan Simpson and Colin Miller analyzed aspects that were overlooked in Syed's case. Similar to Serial, they only had one season centered around Adnan Syed and recently began season two about the death of Isaac Watkins.

Available on: Spotify, Itunes and the Undisclosed website.

3. Sexpert w/ Mia Renee

Focused on getting rid of sexual stigmas while educating college students about sex in a conversational way, Sexpert with Mia Renee is a podcast every college student should listen to. Host Mia Renee Cole (who is also an editor for Fresh U) started the podcast as a means to “teach our generation how to live healthier and naughtier lives.” 

Available on: Itunes, Google Play, Podbean and Facebook.

Sexpert with Mia Renee

4. Girlboss Radio with Sophia Amoruso

I assure you that listening to this podcast will leave you feeling empowered, regardless of what your gender is. Girlboss Radio with Sophia Amoruso is a series of interviews with successful and influential women. Their stories and the podcast as a whole is so incredibly inspiring.

Available on: Spotify, Itunes and the Girlboss website.

Girlboss Radio

5. Beautiful Stories From Anonymous People

This podcast, hosted by Chris Gethard under Earwolf Podcast Network, is truly one of a kind. Every episode of Beautiful Stories From Anonymous People follows a new person as they talk to Gethard about anything and everything in their life. Each person is allotted exactly an hour to talk about what is on their mind. My favorite episode so far has been Strangers on a Train.

Available on: Spotify, Itunes and the Earwolf website.

Earwolf Podcast Network

6. Cracked Podcast

Cracked Podcast is also produced by Earwolf Podcast Network and is so interesting. Every episode is unique and covers topics from how Disney movies have shaped our thoughts to dog vs. cat debates. I love listening to Cracked Podcast because they address the most random issues that have been secretly bothering us.

Available: Spotify, Itunes, Soundcloud and the Earwolf website.

Earwolf Podcast Network

While there are more amazing podcasts out in the podcast world, these are my personal favorites. Feel free to explore other podcasts and learn something new. Best of luck in your podcast endeavors! 

Uzma Jamil - Nova Southeastern University

Uzma Jamil is a freshman at Nova Southeastern University majoring in Political Science. She also has her own personal blog, and loves reading more than anything in this world.