by Uzma Jamil

4 Reasons Why You Should Use A Planner in College

By Uzma Jamil - Jun 14 2016

As someone who carries her planner around everywhere, I don’t know what I’d do without it. In the past five years, I have experimented with different type of agendas and somewhat figured out which one works for me the best. Every college student should invest in a planner (or two) because they are honestly a life saver. Here are four reasons why you should use an agenda in college:

1. It allows you to improve your time management.

Having an agenda allows you to see an overview of your day, week and month. By seeing which tests you have scheduled in a certain week or what papers you have to work on in the month of October, you can easily plan out when you will focus on them. I strongly urge every college student to buy an agenda that has an hourly layout for each day. Although we will get use to our schedules a month in, having an agenda with hours will make it easier to plan time for clubs, social events and studying.

giphy

2. It will keep you focused.

By writing down important information and constantly checking your agenda, you will be more cognizant of what is going on. Back in high-school when I was handling NHS president, Student Council and 4 AP classes, it was so nice having everything written down because it allowed me to see what I had to do and by when. I used my planner daily so there was rarely a day I wasn’t on track with my obligations.

giphy
1

3. Sense of accomplishment.

One of the best feelings in the world is to check off something on your to-do list. I remember one time I had finished everything on my list of homework before 9 p.m. and I felt like I was on top of the world. As college students stressed out over everything possible, having that sense of gratification will allow us to feel less stressed and more accomplished.

giphy
1

4. It will serve as a journal.

I have kept all of my planners and it is so cool looking back at them. I wrote down everything I did--whether it be tests or chipotle dates with my best friend. In some of the planners, I even wrote down when I first started liking my crushes at the time. It’s very interesting to look back and see what you had to handle at the time.

giphy
1

My personal suggestions for planners:

Day Designer Planner by Blue Sky. 

I’m planning on using this agenda for college and I LOVE it. With the time layout and to-do list on every week, I feel like it is very effective for college students. You can see when your classes, club meetings and social events are very easily. You can find them in your local Target!

Sugar Paper Planners. 

They have different types of planners and some of them worked really well for me. Their planners with the horizontal layout were really nice for high school. If you are not a huge fan of the time layout, this is the planner for you. These planners can be found in Target as well!

Mead Planners. 

They are very similar to Sugar Paper but not as cute. If you just want a planner that gets the job done and you don’t care how it looks, you should get this one! Mead Planners can be found in Walmart, Walgreens, CVS and, of course, Target.

Whether you use your planner as religiously as I do or if you chose to use it like a normal person, remember that it is so important to be organized in college. With stressful exams, endless papers and somewhat of a social life, make sure to write down everything so there isn't a chance you forget anything. Planners range from as cheap as three dollars to as expensive as sixty-five dollars. Don't feel pressured to buy one that is super expensive because we are broke college students and that is OK. As long as you have a pen and a calendar, you are good to go. Best of luck in your planner endeavors!

Lead Image Credit: Uzma Jamil

Uzma Jamil - Nova Southeastern University

Uzma Jamil is a freshman at Nova Southeastern University majoring in Political Science. She also has her own personal blog, ujthoughts.wordpress.com and loves reading more than anything in this world.