Display photo 1416862291207 4ca732144d83
by Tyler Bingham

Why I'm Not Afraid to Reset Myself in College

By Tyler Bingham - Jun 14 2016

I have been very lucky in my four years of high school. I have made some amazing friends and accomplished more than I had thought possible. However, after my graduation on Sunday, it sunk in that I wasn't in high school anymore. I am enrolled in college. I am enrolled in a college that is 474.6 miles away from my home. That's 474.6 miles away from my friends and everything that I have known.

However, this isn't frightening. I have done something similar on a smaller scale several years ago. I enrolled in an alternative high school a couple towns away from the school school system and friends I had known prior. I won't lie, the transition was pretty rough. For the first few months of school, I could not find a group of people that I fit in with, and the friends I had known before were becoming increasingly difficult to relate to. I didn't have Mrs. Smith period seven. I didn't understand why her class sucked. They didn't understand what it was like to have an hour bus ride in the morning, or what having a "shop week" was like. 

When I found people that I got along with alright, those old friendships started to fade away. Sure, every once in a while a polite "hello" text was sent and there were obligatory "likes" but for all intents and purposes, I had moved on from my old friends. I changed too. My interests began to shift as I hung out with my new friends more and more. Before I knew it I was a different person than the one who chose vocational education. 

I'm not afraid for this to happen again. It can be scary to go through any big transition that might cause you to lose important relationships, but it will only make you a better person. Restarting or refreshing your life in college can give you an opportunity to broaden your horizons and hangout with people you would've never thought of being with before. 

College friends will be different than my high school friends. These will be my first adult relationships. College friendships will be different because many of the people I encounter will have found something that they are truly passionate about. However, my experiences in high school have well prepared me for this. I now know how to meet new people. I have learned that sitting and waiting for people to come to you is not the proper way to go about making friends. Making friends is about getting involved with different clubs and putting yourself out there. High school has also taught me not to force friendships with my friends back home, and to just enjoy both new and old friends while they last.

Lead image credit: Bec Brown via Unsplash.com

Tyler Bingham - Niagara University

Tyler Bingham, a freshman at Niagara University, plans on double majoring in English and Political Science. Aside from waiting in line at Starbucks, hanging out with friends and reading is how he spends most of his time. Instagram: thetylerbingham