Display uss arizona memorial
by Tyler Bingham

Pearl Harbor is Hosting a College Basketball Tournament on the 75th Anniversary of the Attack

By Tyler Bingham - Jul 08 2016

According to Campus Rush,  Pearl Harbor's historic Bloch Arena and Fox Sports will be commemorating the 75th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor with the Pearl Harbor Basketball Invitational Tournament. As tweeted by the Big East's account, Seton Hall will be in the tournament. They will be joined by Cal, Hawaii, and Princeton. 

The games are set to tipoff starting on December 6th. On December 7th (the exact anniversary of the attack), the tournament will join the rest of the country in commemorating the events from 1941.  Retired Adm. Tom Fargo spoke highly of the event 

"The 75th Commemoration is about acknowledging all the men and women who have answered our nation's call to duty including our 'greatest generation' World War II veterans and Pearl Harbor survivors. We're excited to have FOX Sports return here to raise awareness about our veterans, as well as our active duty service members and civilians, and their tremendous contributions to our nation and to the world."

This will not be the first time Bloch Arena will be holding an event of this size. In addition to hosting a tournament last year, in 1961, Elvis Presley played a concert to raise the necessary funds for a USS Arizona memorial. 

Lead Image Credit: USS Arizona Memorial via Wikimedia Commons

Tyler Bingham - Niagara University

Tyler Bingham, a freshman at Niagara University, plans on double majoring in English and Political Science. Aside from waiting in line at Starbucks, hanging out with friends and reading is how he spends most of his time. Instagram: thetylerbingham