Display photo 1424223022789 26fd8f34bba2
by Tyler Bingham

10 Youtube Channels All College Students Should Be Subscribed To

By Tyler Bingham - Jun 24 2016

Youtube has really become our generation's television. There is content of all genres, and truly gigantic personalities. I have put together a list of ten youtube channels that I feel are perfect for college-aged students. 

1. Think Tank/TYT University

TYT University which has been recently rebranded as Think Tank is one of the best youtube channels for college age students. Their archives are filled with tips for college, stories about Greek Life and much more.  It is one of my favorite channels and definitely worth checking out.

2. Jacksfilms

Jacksfilms has been around since Youtube's infancy in 2006. While he is mostly known for his parodies and music videos, Jacksfilms also has three very popular series that require viewer interaction like YIAY.

3. Crash Course

Critically acclaimed writer John Green is the man behind the wildly popular educational youtube channel Crash Course. His videos are used in classrooms throughout the country, and are great to watch when studying for a test. He covers many different topics from philosophy to history.

4. Alternate History Hub

Alternate History Hub is one of the most fascinating channels on youtube. It explores how life would be changed if major events in US and world history had gone a different direction.

5. Pop Trigger

One of the best pop culture channels on youtube is Pop Trigger. The channel has panel style discussions about the hottest topics of the day.

6. Markiplier

One of youtube's greatest success stories is Markiplier. He has over 13 million subscribers and gets hundreds of thousands of views per video. His videos are let's play/gaming commentary, and he is by far one of the best in his genre.

7. Movie Nights

Allison Pregler's Movie Nights is a fantastic movie reviewing series.  She covers a lot of 90s movies (including some of the Mary Kate and Ashley filmography), so be prepared for a nostalgia bomb.

8. Exploring with Josh

Exploring with Josh is a series of vlogs about a guy (Josh) exploring abandoned and run down places throughout the world. It's pretty interesting to see how nature has taken back some of these places. There is also a Ghost Adventures vibe to some of his episodes, so if you're into shows like that, Exploring with Josh is definitely worth checking out.

9. Nerd Alert

Nerd Alert is a channel for all kinds of geeky news. Kim Horcher and a rotating group of cohosts have you covered when it comes to news regarding cool science discoveries, the newest game releases, the newest Disney and the newest comic book movie trailers. 

10. Khan Academy

One of the most popular youtube channels for education, Khan Academy is a fantastic study tool. They have expanded out from just math help to cover science, history and so much more. A great thing about Khan Academy is that there is a lot of fluctuation in the difficulty of their material. You can learn 3rd grade math, but at the same time you can cover economics. It offers a lot of flexibility for the viewer.

If you haven't already, you should take the time to explore for yourself what youtube has to offer. There is so much content out there. You never know what you'll find. 

Lead image credit: Laura Lee Moreau via

Tyler Bingham - Niagara University

Tyler Bingham, a freshman at Niagara University, plans on double majoring in English and Political Science. Aside from waiting in line at Starbucks, hanging out with friends and reading is how he spends most of his time. Instagram: thetylerbingham