by Tessa Green

These Are the Colleges With The Most Derogatory Tweets In The Nation

By Tessa Green - May 24 2016

Twitter is one of the most popular social media sites out there. Along with facebook and instagram, Twitter is a great place to share your interests and experiences with friends and family. However, Twitter is also , unfortunately, a great place to bully and discriminate.

According to Fusion.net, looking at tweets around campuses can be a way to measure how hateful the atmosphere on a campus is. In fact it is so useful that collegestats.org created a list of the most derogatory college campuses across the nation by looking at tweets from areas surrounding the colleges – which of course, could also be from those living near to the campus, not just students. 

College Stats broke their study down into categories. The first category was schools that use the most derogatory language. Southeast Missouri pulling in at the top with many of their students tweets containing racist, sexist, and homophobic slurs.

Collgestats.org 

For the next category, they studied which schools included the most racism in their tweets and discovered that for the University of Arkansas for every 100,000 words tweeted 23 were anti-black.

Collgestats.org 

College Stats also studied sexism on campuses with two categories: tweets with and without the word bitch. For tweets containing the word bitch Southeast Missouri is once again back on the top, but what really catches our attention is that Yale University appears on the second list. 

Collgestats.org 

Collgestats.org 

Now, to end on a happier note, the study also included the schools with the most politically correct tweets. If you attend one of these Universities feel proud:

Collgestats.org 

Lead Image Credit: Flickr.com/creativecommons

Tessa Green - Darton State College

Tessa Green is a General Studies major at Darton State College. She is hoping to transfer to a four year University in the next year where she will pursue either a journalism and or an english major.