Display textbook
by Tessa Green

The Reason This Math Textbook Cover Went Viral Is Wild

By Tessa Green - May 23 2016

There have been many examples of strange things going viral on the internet. This includes a dress that nobody could decide the color of and a sad grandfather whose grandkids did not show up to his dinner. Now there is a new thing blowing up on the internet: a textbook.

This tweet from May 19 blew up shortly after it was tweeted: 

And the internet began to freak out. It seems like a perfectly normal cover to a math textbook, but if you look closely enough you will see something off about it. The students on the cover of the book are holding copies of the very same textbook. How is this possible when the textbook had not even been published before they made the cover? Many took to Twitter to come up with the answer for this phenomenon. Some attempted to be logical about it:

Others began to dig into conspiracy theories:

One person only saw one option: time travel.

So did anybody ever figure out the truth behind this textbook cover? The answer is yes. According to Buzzfeed the image on the textbook is just a simple stock photo that was photoshopped. Take a look at the photo below: 

Buzzfeed

Even though the answer was not as exciting as time travel, the Internet will definitely have another mystery to solve in the near future.

Lead Image Credit: Twitter

Tessa Green - Darton State College

Tessa Green is a General Studies major at Darton State College. She is hoping to transfer to a four year University in the next year where she will pursue either a journalism and or an english major.