by Tessa Green

This High School Senior With a 4.0 Is Literally Begging For Money To Pay For College

By Tessa Green - Apr 20 2016

Students who come from middle and lower income families have a difficult time finding the means to fund their college education. This can partially be contributed to the fact that many colleges are turning away from need based aid to offer more merit based aid. Many students just aren't getting the amount of financial aid that they need to put themselves through college. Emily Stutz is one example of this.

According to Cosmopolitan.com, Emily Stutz is a high school senior who has dreamt about attending a private University to study pre-medicine. She had a perfect GPA all four years of high school, did all the volunteer work she was able to, joined many clubs, and worked three jobs. However, this was still not enough. According to her GoFundMe page, Emily only received around $11,000 dollars in financial aid for a school that costs more than $50,000 a year. She was also accepted to many state schools, but with no financial aid. These schools would end up costing her around $20,000 dollars a year. She also does not have the option of taking out student loans, because her parents are not in a good financial situation to cosign a loan for her. 

Emily then made a decision to go the nontraditional route to fund her college education: panhandling. She sat outside a Target in Lowell, Massachusetts with a sign asking for money, and it worked! Emily was able to promote her GoFundMe page and so far has raised over $19,000 from 378 donations. Her goal is to raise $30,000 and she hopes to meet her goal soon, so she will be able to find out if she can afford to go to college. As college students or high school seniors, many of us can relate to Emily's struggle of finding funds, so if you would like to donate any amount to Emily you can find her page here: GoFundMe.

Photo Credits: Emily Statz photo on GoFundMe

Tessa Green - Darton State College

Tessa Green is a General Studies major at Darton State College. She is hoping to transfer to a four year University in the next year where she will pursue either a journalism and or an english major.