Display 6319715963 b5ccb838ba b
by Tessa Green

Stanford Changes Its Alcohol Policy In An Attempt To Create A Safer Environment On Campus

By Tessa Green - Aug 25 2016

The case of Stanford student Brock Turner shocked the nation when he received a very lenient sentence for raping an unconscious woman behind a dumpster. This sentence may have been because Turner blamed his crime on "the party culture" and "binge drinking" going on at Stanford. Now it seems Stanford is attempting to create a more positive view of their campus in the aftermath of this scandal.

According to Buzzfeed news, Stanford is banning all hard liquor from any undergraduate on-campus parties. Stanford President announced this new policy last Monday. The policy prohibits anyone of the legal drinking age to contain hard liquor in containers that are more than 750 mL in undergraduate residences on the Stanford Campus. From now on only beer and wine will be allowed at undergraduate on-campus parties. The only exception to this rule is if the campus organization that is hosting the party is made up of only graduate students as members. Stanford is hoping that this new policy will make their campus a safe environment, but only time will tell if this decision makes any impact.

Lead Image Credit: Jack Daniels Photo Via Flickr Creative Commons 

Tessa Green - Darton State College

Tessa Green is a General Studies major at Darton State College. She is hoping to transfer to a four year University in the next year where she will pursue either a journalism and or an english major.