by Tessa Green

President Obama’s Plan For Free Community College Is Becoming a Reality

By Tessa Green - Apr 28 2016

With the amount of debt college students are graduating with gradually increasing, free tuition across campuses have become a fantasy for many. In response, last year President Obama created a plan for every student to be able to access two free years of community college. Many saw this plan as farfetched, but it is becoming a reality.

According to Inside Higher Ed almost 30 community colleges have adopted President Obama’s tuition free plan. In order to spread his plan to more schools, President Obama has created a new proposal. This new proposal is for a $100 million grant competition to encourage schools to create more tuition free education and training programs for in-demand jobs. This program is known as $100 Million America’s Promise Grants. It is an H-1B funded program. That means that the money will come from the fee American employers pay to hire foreign workers for high skill jobs.

President Obama’s plan from last year has done a lot to help many college students. It is estimated to help save students $3,800 in tuition each year. His new proposal is estimated to help 1,700 students so far. These programs are becoming huge steps to ending the student loan debt plague that is attacking this country.

Hopefully more developments will be created in the near future.

Lead Image Credit: ProgressOhio // Flickr Creative Commons

Tessa Green - Darton State College

Tessa Green is a General Studies major at Darton State College. She is hoping to transfer to a four year University in the next year where she will pursue either a journalism and or an english major.