Display 9734906988 523aa9ed65 c
by Tessa Green

This Out-of-Control Party Could Cost One Student $275,000 In Fines

By Tessa Green - Mar 24 2016

The media makes throwing the wildest, craziest parties on campus seem like the one thing to guarantee that you have an amazing college experience. However, the movies do not usually show the consequences that students may face. According to Teen Vogue one fraternity at American University learned the hard way.

The fraternity, Phi Kappa Alpha, was throwing a party at their off campus house when things got a little too wild. The cops were called and when they arrived they found 200 people on the first floor and many more underage students hiding in closets and under beds. According to WUSA9 the most horrifying sight the cops witnessed were two young men trying to get a very drunk underage girl into an Uber to be treated for alcohol poisoning. The house itself was trashed with alcohol spilled all over the floor and the temperature around 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

According to WUSA9 the police are issuing more than 100 alcohol citations for underage drinkers, but it is the owner of the house who is facing the most trouble. Tyler Steinhardt, whose name is on the lease of the house, is being charged with 110 counts of serving alcohol to minors and might be charged a fine of $2,500 per minor. This could cost him up to $275,000 dollars in fines. Also, one fraternity member, Jamieson Tyman, allegedly attacked one of the police officers shutting down the party. He is being charged with second degree assault and resisting arrest. This was not exactly the party ending they were expecting.

Lead Image Credit: Flickr

Tessa Green - Darton State College

Tessa Green is a General Studies major at Darton State College. She is hoping to transfer to a four year University in the next year where she will pursue either a journalism and or an english major.