by Tessa Green

This Mom Made The Sweetest Present For Her Future College Freshman

By Tessa Green - Jul 19 2016

It is reaching that time of year again, when every incoming college freshman has about three weeks left before they pack up and head to college. This means that there are thousands of young adults all across the country rushing from store to store trying to check off everything on their college packing list. However, one mom showed us that the best dorm decorations cannot be bought. 

According to Huffington Post, Karen Harvey, from Los Angeles, California, gave her daughter the coolest memory quilt ever. Her daughter Sulyn is going to be attending UC Davis in a few weeks, so she wanted to give her a gift that would hold a special place in heart. Karen has been saving her daughter's old t-shirts from various special events since Sulyn was a little girl, and she finally found the perfect way to use them: by sewing them into a memory quilt. 

Courtesy of Karen Harvey via Huffington Post
The quilt contains shirts from her first soccer game, her swim team, her old girl scouts troop, and even a Blink-182 concert shirt. 

The shirts on the on the quilt are placed in a certain order and also represent one thing that Sulyn loves. For example the California shirt is placed dead smack in the middle because "Sulyn is a total California girl." Also, the pink Maui shirt holds a special place in Sulyn's memory as the time she overcame her fear of the ocean. 

So, if there are any parents out there looking for a last minute gift to give their college bound kid, consider taking a tip from Sulyn's mom. Congrats to Sulyn and good luck at college!

Lead Image Credit: Karen Harvey's Quilt Photo

Tessa Green - Darton State College

Tessa Green is a General Studies major at Darton State College. She is hoping to transfer to a four year University in the next year where she will pursue either a journalism and or an english major.