Display 31952670 2b40276699 n
by Tessa Green

New Study Reports That Lack of Sleep Can Lead to Same Side Effect as Marijuana

By Tessa Green - Mar 10 2016

We've all been there: It's that point in the year where teachers are piling on essays and tests and you're struggling to keep up. It's time for midterms and this means for many college students it's time to start pulling all-nighters. Well, it might be time to become a little better at time management, because USA Today reported on March 4 that a new study now shows that lack of sleep can lead to excessive cravings. 

The study itself was published in the journal "Sleep" on March 1, and it reports the cravings you get from sleep deprivation are similar to the cravings many report after smoking marijuana. This is because lack of sleep sets off the same receptor in the brain as the drug does, and this causes hunger pains. (You can read more about the science behind that here). Although the sample size was fairly small – the study had 14 participants between the ages of 18 and 30 – the ones who were denied sleep reported being much hungrier than those who were more well-rested. 

So it's time for us to put down the textbooks, coffee, and donuts and climb into bed. Instead of staying up late it might be best to either manage our time a little bit better, or at least do our studying in the morning after a night of (some) rest. 

Photo Credits: Jack Lyons www.flickr.com

Tessa Green - Darton State College

Tessa Green is a General Studies major at Darton State College. She is hoping to transfer to a four year University in the next year where she will pursue either a journalism and or an english major.