by Tessa Green

New Study Shows Napping Is Bad For Your Health

By Tessa Green - Jun 28 2016

We have all had those long days where it seems that the only way you are going to make it through is by taking an afternoon nap. A nap for twenty minutes to an hour seems like a go to way to receive a boost of energy, however, these naps might not be as good for us as we think.

According to Cosmopolitan.com a new study shows that long naps are bad for your health. The study was conducted by the American College of Cardiology.  For this study they surveyed over 300,000 people from all over the world and the results were shocking. Those who frequently took long naps were at an increased risk for many health problems. It increased ones risk for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and different metabolic issues. The most shocking is that it increased ones risk for type 2 diabetes by 50 percent.

There is some good news from this study. The increase of risk only affects those that nap for 40 minutes or longer. Those who take 20 minute naps are fine. So it is alright to keep taking those short afternoon naps, just make sure to set an alarm.

Lead Image Credit: Pixabay.com

Tessa Green - Darton State College

Tessa Green is a General Studies major at Darton State College. She is hoping to transfer to a four year University in the next year where she will pursue either a journalism and or an english major.