Display 5748419806 789a66c65f b
by Tessa Green

This New Pill Will Help Prevent The Spread Of HIV

By Tessa Green - Jul 22 2016

It is common for those 18 or over to be sexually active, and with being sexually active comes a lot of responsibility. We have been taught (hopefully) that safe sex includes using a condom always and being on some form of birth control to prevent a pregnancy. Now there is a new drug out there that will make having sex a whole lot less stressful.

According to Fusion, there is a pill out there that can prevent the user from being infected with the sexually transmitted disease HIV. This drug is known as pre-exposure prophylaxis and is 90% effective at preventing the spread of HIV. That is crazy right? So just how does this drug work? 

Well when the pill is taken once a day it prevents the HIV infection from copying itself inside the person's body even after the person has been exposed. 

This could be very helpful in ending the HIV infection itself, so why aren't more people taking this drug? Well a lot are not made aware of the drugs existence by their doctors. Others cannot afford the cost of the drug and do not have healthcare that will cover the drug. 

However, if you are interested in starting this prescription or want to learn more about drug itself you can do so here. It is important to stay safe and to stay aware of your options.

Lead Image Credit: Pills by Jamie Via FlickrCreativeCommons

Tessa Green - Darton State College

Tessa Green is a General Studies major at Darton State College. She is hoping to transfer to a four year University in the next year where she will pursue either a journalism and or an english major.