by Tessa Green

Matt Damon Delivered An Inspiring and Hilarious Commencement Speech

By Tessa Green - Jun 07 2016

The class of 2016 is graduating from universities all across the nation, which means that many famous celebrities, politicians, and just overall great speakers are delivering speeches at these commencement ceremonies. Some of the greatest speeches so far include Michelle Obama's Speech at CCNY and President Obama's speech at Howard University. Despite all of these wonderful speakers this year, Matt Damon's speech at MIT stands out a little more than the rest. His speech included a mixture of jokes, scientific studies, and motivational quotes.

Matt Damon's jokes definitely gained the attention of his audience and it appeared Donald Trump was the butt of a lot of them. He started of his speech with a scientific theory, which of course would appeal to his MIT audience. This theory was that our universe was just a simulation or a "giant computer game" and then joked that "why did we get stuck in one where Donald Trump is the Republican Candidate."

Despite how hilarious his jokes were, the main point of his speech was the motivational message behind it and that was to "drop everything and solve world problems." These MIT grads can analyze a math problem in the blink of an eye, so out of everyone they are the ones with the power to solve the problems our world faces today. Matt Damon went on to list a few examples of problems they could solve. These included refugee crisis, our failing political system, our faulty banking system, world hunger, different countries lack of water and education, and many more. Overall Matt Damon's speech tells everyone that there is no better time than after graduation to fix things and we are the generation to do it. You can watch his entire speech below: 

Photo Credits: YouTube

Tessa Green - Darton State College

Tessa Green is a General Studies major at Darton State College. She is hoping to transfer to a four year University in the next year where she will pursue either a journalism and or an english major.