by Tessa Green

Harvard's Exclusive Men-Only Club Claims Opening Doors to Women Will Increase Sexual Assault

By Tessa Green - Apr 19 2016

Harvard has recently been making some changes among their campus, to give each student the same opportunities. One of these changes includes opening the doors of some of their elite men-only clubs to women. These changes have been partially successful. Clubs such as the Spee Club have officially changed their membership requirements. However, there are still many clubs fighting these changes. The Porcelain Club is one of them.

According to the New York Times, the president of Porcelain Club's alumni group stated that admitting women into the club would only increase the rates of sexual assault.  The president, Charles Storey, wrote this statement for the University's student newspaper, The Harvard Crimson. Although he later apologized, his words did not go unnoticed. Katherine Clark, a representative from Massachusetts tweeted "Instead of blaming women, you can focus on teaching members of the club not to sexually assault people."  Even the Dean of Harvard spoke up, claiming that single-sex clubs do not fit in the 21st century. 

Could it really be true that the members of one of Harvard's most exclusive clubs do not know how to handle themselves around women, or is it just another way to keep the club only available to white men? Cecilia Sanders, a senior at Harvard, said it best: "It is dangerous to believe that men and women can not be in the same room together and treat each other with respect. This kind of mentality is the only thing promoting sexual assault."

Photo Credits: Flickr.com \\ Angela N, Flickr Creative Commons

Tessa Green - Darton State College

Tessa Green is a General Studies major at Darton State College. She is hoping to transfer to a four year University in the next year where she will pursue either a journalism and or an english major.