by Tessa Green

Freshmen15 Might Be The Greatest Foodstagram of All Time

By Tessa Green - May 21 2016

Pictures of avocado toast, breakfast bowls, and other health foods have become the new trend on Instagram, but there is a new account breaking away from tradition. With their bio stating "we gain weight for a reason" the Instagram page FRESHMEN15 posts pictures of deliciously cheesy mac and cheese, crispy mozzarella  sticks, and other equally tasty foods:

According to an interview with the New York Times six girls from Boca Raton, Florida started the page as a way to stay in touch as they went to separate colleges. "They didn't expect was strangers to suddenly start liking their pictures" claimed Sydney Greenburg, one of the founders of the page. Now their Instagram page has over 139,000 followers and their pictures get thousands of likes. The girls post pictures of foods that they come across while at college or even while traveling, such as this photo, which one of the girls took while in Israel:

They also use photos that they find on other Instagram pages or pictures that people submit to them. One of the founders of the Freshmen15, Sydney Greenberg, said that the most popular photos on their page are the ones covered in cheese. She told the New York Times, "Mozzarella sticks and mac and cheese are big winners for us.”

One of girls has a very inspiring reason for using the Instagram page. Skylar Ganz has struggled with eating disorders and uses the Instagram page to fight it. Posting pictures of fattening foods and letting the world know that she is enjoying eating them is motivational for anyone battling an eating disorder. This Instagram page has proven to be a huge step in celebrating every college students love for food and not caring about the freshmen 15. Check this page out for yourself and you will be craving fried and sweet foods.

Photo Credits: Leading Image: Flickr.com/creative commons

Photos in Article: FRESHMEN15 Instagram Page

Tessa Green - Darton State College

Tessa Green is a General Studies major at Darton State College. She is hoping to transfer to a four year University in the next year where she will pursue either a journalism and or an english major.