Display ole ms law jtp 0935
by Tessa Green

Fraternity Accused of Sexual Harassment During Their Biggest Charity Event

By Tessa Green - Apr 25 2016

Unfortunately young women face sexual harassment in many different settings. It can occur in the workplace, on the street, and of course, on a college campus. This was the case for many sorority sisters at the University of Mississippi.

According to Buzzfeed, members of the fraternity Sigma Chi allegedly made sexually inappropriate comments to many sorority members competing for the title of Derby Queen. These remarks were made at the fraternity's largest charity event known as Derby Day. Some of these comments were caught on video including one fraternity member asking a sorority member named Bobbie Jo what her nickname was. She cleverly responded with Bobbie Shmurda, however another fraternity member ignored her and stated "we're gonna go ahead and say it's BJ." Other comments were allegedly made but were not caught on video, such as fraternity members asking "what Sigma Chi would you go down on?" or "What type of sausage would you prefer: linked or Sigma Chi?" 

This type of behavior is unacceptable anywhere and especially unacceptable at an event that is supposed to be entirely about philanthropy. One student at Ole Miss stated drew attention to this issue in her facebook post that received over one thousand shares. She stated perfectly that these women are paying for this event, so "why [are] we paying money to participate in these events just to be humiliated?" On the same day the university released  a statement stating that this behavior was unacceptable and are actively investigating the charges of sexual harassment through their title IX office. 

Sigma Chi's Fraternity President also responded to the event with a video apologizing for the incident. He stated that there were many words that should not have been said at this event and that himself and his fraternity brothers did not do enough to stop it. However, he also stated that this event is too important for the charities to end completely. 

Photo Credits: Yate's Construction Photo of University of Mississippi Law School

Tessa Green - Darton State College

Tessa Green is a General Studies major at Darton State College. She is hoping to transfer to a four year University in the next year where she will pursue either a journalism and or an english major.