Display 7408506410 715acb5f6f z
by Tessa Green

Do College Students Really Spend as Much on Textbooks as They Think?

By Tessa Green - Apr 13 2016

Let's face it, college is expensive. No matter where you go to school you will end up paying a lot of tuition, dorms, and meal plans. For the amount of money universities seem to charge their students just for fees, it is almost as if you are paying for the air you breathe on campus. Even with all the high prices a college student must pay, it seems the one they complain about the most is the cost of textbooks. In fact when Kanye West ranted on twitter about the high cost of  textbooks, it was retweeted over 71,000 times. But are textbooks still one of the highest costs that college students pay?

According to The New York Times, college students are actually spending less on textbooks and other required material than ever before. So, does this mean that textbook prices are decreasing? Nope. The cost has still been increasing over the past couple of years, but there are now cheaper alternatives. Instead of buying a brand new textbook from their school bookstore, they can use sites such as Amazon and Chegg to purchase used books, purchase ebooks, or just rent the book for more than half the price. I personally saved a ton of money using these sites. Rather than buying my chemistry book for more than 300 dollars from the school bookstore, I was able to rent it on Chegg for only twenty dollars. 

This isn't to say that textbooks are not a financial burden for college students, but the amount students are actually paying is going down. This means that there are solutions being formed to solve this problem and it can (hopefully) only get cheaper from here.

Picture Credits: Flickr.com

Tessa Green - Darton State College

Tessa Green is a General Studies major at Darton State College. She is hoping to transfer to a four year University in the next year where she will pursue either a journalism and or an english major.