Display 5843577306 06fd6132f7 n
by Tessa Green

Columbia and Barnard Are Now Dropping SAT/ACT Requirements

By Tessa Green - Jul 22 2016

The SAT and ACT tests are quite time consuming, let alone pretty costly, for juniors and seniors in high school. The cost of the test itself is around $50 per test and many students want to take the test more than one time. Also, studying material, such as the SAT Prep book and flashcards, are quite pricy itself. This can put a burden on students who come from low income families.

The stress of preparing for the test is a lot for a student to manage while they are trying to apply to colleges and pass all their classes. This is why a few Universities are dropping the requirement to take the test.

According to USA College Today Columbia and Barnard are among the latest to join the list of universities dropping the SAT/ACT requirement. Barnard University is the first of the historically all women universities to drop their SAT subject test requirement and SAT essay requirement. Columbia University is dropping their SAT Subject test requirement and SAT essay requirement, stating:

(This will) "ease some of the stress students may feel when going through the college admissions process." 

Yale, Princeton, Dartmouth, and University of Pennsylvania have also dropped their Subject test requirement, but not their essay requirement.

So if you are one of the many upcoming high school juniors or seniors who are planning to apply to Barnard of Columbia University, your application process just got a little less stressful. 

Lead Image Credit: Exam photo via Flickr Creative Commons 

Tessa Green - Darton State College

Tessa Green is a General Studies major at Darton State College. She is hoping to transfer to a four year University in the next year where she will pursue either a journalism and or an english major.