by Tessa Green

Coffee and Cancer: New Report Shows They Are Not Related

By Tessa Green - Jun 23 2016

Based on the amount of "But first coffee" tshirts out there, coffee is a big part of life for many people, especially college students. How else would we survive a late night study session or the morning after a huge party? I know personally, I cannot make through my long summer job work days without a quick run to Dunkin' Donuts during happy hour. So it was devastating news for everyone when it was reported that coffee might cause cancer.

There is no need to panic if this is the first time hearing that news, because according to Cosmopolitan, coffee does not actually cause the cancer that scientists thought it did. The World Health Organization officially cleared coffee's name in a statement that it is now "not classifiable as to its carcinogenicity to humans."  In fact coffee now has a whole ton of health benefits that scientists now claim. These include a lower risk of cardiovascular disease, type two diabetes, better survival in colon cancer patients, and many more. 

Scientists do say there is one thing to be careful about when drinking coffee: the temperature. Apparently the WHO states that drinking coffee that is above 149 degrees fahrenheit might increase one's risk for esophageal cancer. There is no need to worry, because it is just the temperature and not the coffee that increases one's risk for cancer, so keep drinking those iced coffees.

Lead Image Credit: Flickr.com/creativecommons

Tessa Green - Darton State College

Tessa Green is a General Studies major at Darton State College. She is hoping to transfer to a four year University in the next year where she will pursue either a journalism and or an english major.