by Tessa Green

Alarming New Report Highlights LGBT Bullying Within Schools

By Tessa Green - Aug 16 2016

There is no doubt that our society is making changes to improve the quality of life of the LGBT community. The Supreme Court decision allowing gay marriage to be legal in all fifty states was a huge step in the right direction. However, there are still many improvements to be made, especially for LGBT students.

According to Fusion, a new report has recently come out showing a high amount of bullying directed to LGBT high school students. The report was published by the Center of Disease Control who analyzed data from a 2015 nation survey taken by 15,000 students in grades 9th through 12th. They also compiled data from 25 specific state surveys and the result they found are pretty alarming. Apparently 34% of lesbian, gay, and bisexual high school students reported being bullied at least once. This is much higher than the 19% of heterosexuals who reported bullying.

This large amount of bullying affects the health and overall wellbeing of LGBT students. The following statistics are even more alarming. 40% of lesbian, gay, and bisexual students surveyed reported seriously considering suicide, and 29% reported attempting suicide in the past 12 months. Also alarming: 60% of those surveyed reporting feeling sad, helpless, and lonely.

This is a serious problem plaguing high schools across the nation and the schools need to make improvements to fix it. Increases in counseling services could be a good start, but schools need to do more to improve the environment for LGBT students and create a safer place for everyone.  

We need to embrace each other, not hurt each other over the differences that make us unique.

Tessa Green - Darton State College

Tessa Green is a General Studies major at Darton State College. She is hoping to transfer to a four year University in the next year where she will pursue either a journalism and or an english major.