Display 17123251389 bed3c3a1ba c
by Tessa Green

The 10 Highest Paying College Majors

By Tessa Green - May 19 2016

Deciding on a major can be the hardest part about going into college. Many will worry if their salary coming out of college with this degree will be high enough to live off. Well, US NEWS has published a list of the ten highest paying majors, so some of this stress can be lifted off, depending on what you want to go into.

It is a safe bet that majoring in one of the STEM fields (science, technology, engineering, and math) will lead to a high paying job after graduation. Those majoring in some form of engineering are extra lucky, because engineering ranked highest on the list. In fact, if you happen to major in petroleum engineering, you are pretty much guaranteed a high paying job immediately after graduation.  The economic prospects for this major continue to grow while other majors, such as education, are remaining constant. 

So, why does graduating with a degree in this major pretty much guarantee economic prosperity? Well according to US NEWS this major is tied to two things: oil and Wall Street. These two things, especially oil, seem to be the backbone of the US economy leading to higher paying jobs in the petroleum engineering field. To check out other high paying majors here is the list below:

So I guess the only option is to major in engineering? Womp. 

Lead Image Credit: Pictures of Money via Flickr Creative Commons

Tessa Green - Darton State College

Tessa Green is a General Studies major at Darton State College. She is hoping to transfer to a four year University in the next year where she will pursue either a journalism and or an english major.