About Fresh U

Fresh U is a national online publication geared toward college freshmen. Since launching in June 2015, Fresh U has grown to a staff of 300 contributing writers on more than 100 campuses and has a media partnership with Teen Vogue. The publication’s content ranges from the new experiences of college life to surfacing local news stories on college campuses using its network of contributing writers. The publication offers brands the opportunity to reach a group of newly minted, Gen-Z consumers who are making hundreds of purchasing decisions as they prepare for college life.

Meet The Team

Kate

Kate Beckman | Founder and CEO

Kate Beckman is the CEO and Founder of Fresh U, a national online publication for college freshmen and high school seniors. Because of her experience building and running a publication for Generation Z, Kate is an expert on this emerging generation and has been asked to speak on numerous Gen Z-focused panels, including for international ad-tech company, Bazaarvoice. In addition to running Fresh U, Kate is a freelance writer for Cosmopolitan and is currently a student at the Newhouse School at Syracuse University.

Contact Kate Beckman

Matt abb0d394e97086f8a30d78ee21729640489dbfd8b2a91f5db29165a20f0ae15f

Matt Gehring | Social Media Director

Matt is a senior at Syracuse University studying TV, Radio, and Film. He is a pop culture junkie and social media enthusiast, much of which can be seen through his work with Fresh U. Matt is always working to bring Fresh U content to a larger, more diverse audience. Outside of Fresh U, Matt also works as a morning show co-host on a Syracuse student-run Top 40 radio station.

Contact Matt Gehring

Ellielead

Ellie Day | Lead Developer

Ellie is the lead developer at Fresh U. Having worked with Fresh U since the original website for Juiced Magazine was made in 2013, she is excited to see the site grow into what it is today. In addition to coding web applications, she tutors and mentors women learning to code. She frequently participates in hackathons and makes the occasional trip to The White House for LGBTQ Tech Summits.

Contact Ellie Day

Screen shot 2016 03 05 at 9.46.02 pm

Lindsay Dawson | Branding and Site Design

Lindsay is a Syracuse '15 alumna currently working as an art/photo assistant at HGTV Magazine. For her senior capstone project, she created the branding and UI design for Fresh U. Lindsay hopes the brand will inspire and motivate young journalist and creatives to get involved in their communities. You can see more of her work at www.lindsaydawsondesigns.com.

Contact Lindsay Dawson

Img 2947

Maya Ungar | Politics Editor

Maya is a second year student at the University of Arkansas studying International Studies, Political Science, and French, with a minor in History. She started at Fresh U as a Politics Staff Writer and after a year became the Fresh U Politics Editor. An aspiring Diplomat, she reads the news and stays up to date on public policy in her free time. But in those moments when she's not involved with politics, you can find her eating an unhealthy amount of cheese, visiting art museums and jamming out to old 2000's pop music.

Contact Maya Ungar

Fullsizerender  2

Katie Czerwinski | Executive Editor

Katie is a senior at the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University. She is currently studying magazine journalism with a minor in psychology. At Syracuse, she is a digital design editor for The Daily Orange. When she’s not making dad jokes on Twitter, she's probably baking, tending to her jalapeno plant, or watching cooking shows.

Contact Katie Czerwinski

Screen shot 2017 04 12 at 11.22.58 pm

Dennis Williams | Community Manager

Dennis is currently a sophomore double majoring in Computer Engineering and Electrical Engineering at the Tandon School of Engineering at NYU. His favorite hobbies include reading, photography, drawing, and playing the piano. Besides his role as Community Manager for Fresh U, Dennis is also a peer tutor and a swim instructor. Chances are you'll see Dennis anywhere that there's food, especially at McDonald's and Insomnia Cookies.

Contact Dennis Williams

Screen shot 2017 04 17 at 10.40.24 am

Melissa Cordell | News Editor

Melissa is a sophomore at UNC-Chapel Hill, majoring in Journalism and Political Science. In her free time, she enjoys reading the news, working on campaigns, and photography.

Contact Melissa Cordell

Fullsizerender 2

Lauren Reamy | Associate Editor

Lauren is a sophomore Vocal Performance major at George Mason University. Besides singing, she loves musical theatre, hanging out with her pets, and reading way too many books.

Contact Lauren Reamy

Newwww

Carly Longo | The Network Outreach Director

Carly is a sophomore at Syracuse University. She is studying Advertising in the S. I. Newhouse School of Public Communications. She is involved in Relay for Life and TNH Student Advertising Agency. Carly also enjoys going to Syracuse sporting events with her friends and identical twin sister who also attends SU.

Contact Carly Longo

Profile tehe

Sarah DiMarco | Senior Editor

Sarah is a graduate student at the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University. She is currently studying magazine, newspaper and online journalism. At Syracuse University, she writes articles for The NewsHouse and does freelance work for Maniac Magazine. When she isn’t writing and editing, Sarah is probably in the kitchen perfecting her pho recipe or teaching herself how to code.

Contact Sarah DiMarco