Yale To Unveil Gender-Neutral Bathrooms In 23 Campus Buildings

By Taylor Lang - May 23 2016

Yale is making some serious headway in supporting the transgender community. According to Fox News, Yale is unveiling new gender-neutral bathrooms in 23 buildings on campus for commencement.

With a lot of other schools creating more comfortable spaces for their students where they can feel safe, Yale wanted to promote that they are inclusive of transgender people who come as students, faculty or visitors.

"Yale aims to be a leader on this front," said Tamar Gendler, dean of Yale's Faculty of Arts and Sciences to Fox News. "Part of what is important about the all-gender bathroom project and about putting it at the top of our commencement site, is this is about public signaling."

In addition, professors have begun to make it a habit to call people by their preferred pronouns rather than what is on their official paperwork. Students can also change the name on their student I.D. cards to what they want to be referred to as for no extra cost.

Twitter

When it comes to dorm life, students who are sophomores or older can live in the gender housing that they identify with rather than what is on their official documents.

Yale's office of LGBTQ Resources, Faculty of Arts and Sciences and Office of Diversity and Inclusion can be thanked for making all of the transformations of the bathrooms happen. Most were gendered bathrooms that are now just gender-neutral stalls with a figure of a person wearing pants on one leg and a dress on the other.

Twitter

With a lot of other colleges becoming more aware of the needs of different types of students on their campuses, it is vital that they make an effort to include all of the students and staff who live and work there. Here’s hoping that more colleges follow suit!

Lead Image Credit: Yale; Thomas Autumn via Flickr Commons

Want more Fresh U? Like us on Facebook?