Why This College Banned Energy Drinks

By Taylor Lang - Mar 02 2016

Middlebury College has now decided to ban energy drinks, such as Red Bull and 5-Hour Energy, from their dining services. A report by USA Today stated that the ban is due to the alleged belief that drinking energy drinks leads to an increase in dangerous behavior.

An uncited study reported by Myles Kamisher-Koch, a Dining Software Intern at Middlebury, allegedly showed that there is a 25% chance that the students will mix energy drinks with alcohol. When the ban was announced in a flyer, it stated that if the two drinks are mixed, there is a much higher potential for risky activities: increased intoxication, driving while intoxicated, multiple substance usage, and high-risk sexual activities.

The debate over energy drinks is not a new occurrence at colleges. The University of New Hampshire declared in September of 2011 that they were going to ban energy drinks because of an increase in health concerns. They had to take back the ban three days later, when they decided that they did not have sufficient medical evidence to prove the ban was needed. There are a lot of debates about energy drinks and their effects on people in general, as well.

Twitter

There have been a lot of different studies on the effects of energy drinks, but none of them have turned up distinct clear evidence for or against them. Safety seems to be a strong reason for colleges to remove things from campuses lately, as energy drinks are not the only things being banned.

For us college kids who occasionally have to pull all-nighters, energy drinks can be lifesavers in helping us stay up to finish a paper. It would be a lot harder to get through college without them. I guess we could always switch to coffee, although many of us are already pretty addicted.

Lead Image Credit: Flickr