Two Ithaca College Students Stabbed At Cornell

By Taylor Lang - Aug 30 2016

As college classes are starting to begin and students are returning to campuses, there are a lot of gatherings, parties, and meetings going on. According to The Chronicle, an event at the Cornell Student Union building that was attended by several hundred students turned tragic on Saturday night into Sunday morning.

After the event, a fight broke out. Two students from Ithaca College were stabbed. The police arrived to the scene at 2 a.m. Sunday morning and rushed the men to the hospital. Anthony Nazaire, 19, passed away from his wounds later Sunday morning. The other student was treated and released.

Nazaire's godfather, Jacques Dorsainvil, also told the newspaper Nazaire:

was an intelligent man, polite with everyone. I don't get it, why this happened to us. Everybody knows he's a gift from God.

Nazaire had graduated from Brooklyn Theatre Arts High School and was studying business administration. He was a member of Brothers4Brothers, which is a student organization on campus to promote the empowerment of men of color.

Tom Rochon, president of Ithaca, released a statement to all of the students. He offered his condolences at the loss of a part of their community and made it clear that counselors were available to all who felt the need to talk about their grief.

Ryan Lombardi, vice president of Cornell's student and campus life, sent out a statement to students as well. He made it clear that there was no continuing threat to students or the campus.

The stabbing is an alleged homicide, but so far there have been no arrests, but leads are being pursued. The Ithaca Journal is asking that anyone with video evidence of the event send it forward so that the students can be brought to justice. 

"I hope they get caught and justice is done," Nazaire's mother, Katia Toussaint, told the New York Daily News on Monday. "I didn't send my son to school to get murdered."

The college is having a memorial service Monday at 4 p.m. at Muller Chapel for all to attend.

Our hearts go out to Ithaca and Cornell and the families and friends of the students.

Lead Image Credit: Wendy Schotsman via Flickr Creative Commons