Trump Graffiti Causes Protests At This College in Georgia

By Taylor Lang - Mar 25 2016

On Monday morning, students at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia, woke up to find pro-Trump statements written all over their campus, according to The Washington Post. Instead of seeing it as someone choosing to promote a candidate, most students allegedly saw the chalk-graffiti as promoting some of Trump’s anti-diversity views.

Twitter

Protesters began using their right to protest in order to express that they did not feel as if these actions were okay on campus. “It is our duty to fight for our freedom. It is our duty to win. We must love each other and support each other. We have nothing to lose but our chains.”

The President of Emory University, Jim Wagner, met with the protesters in order to understand their side to the event. In a statement released afterward to the campus, he reflected: “I cannot dismiss their expression of feelings and concern as motivated only by political preference or over-sensitivity. Instead, the students with whom I spoke heard a message, not about political process or candidate choice, but instead about values regarding diversity and respect that clash with Emory’s own.”

Twitter

Some of the media who have covered this story have decided that the students of Emory are allegedly overreacting, but it was not just the messages that were written that bothered the campus, but where they had been places. Many of the pro-Trump statements were placed on the steps of the buildings that were gathering places for African Americans and people of Latino descent. It made the protesters feel as if they had been targeted.

Twitter

The protesters made it very clear that they are not protesting the right for students to use their free-speech to speak about politics, rather they are protesting the circumstances of this individual event and its implications.

With politics being such a strong topic because of the elections coming up soon, it is important to be aware of the different candidates and the ideals that they stand for. Most importantly, it is important to use your right to stand up for your values and vote.

Lead Image Credit: Trump Hotel Dano via Flickr