Donald Trump Jr. Shares Insensitive Image Comparing Refugees to Poisoned Skittles

By Taylor Lang - Sep 21 2016

This political mess has really started to get out of hand. As most of us in college are going to be able to vote for the first time, there is a lot of debate about whether it is even worth it. 

As part of a democratic country that has soldiers fighting for American freedom, it is important to realize that it is vital to vote; people have lost their lives for this right that we have and millions of others don't even have the right to vote. 

But, sometimes it is hard to remember this when candidates or their spokespeople don't seem to be taking things seriously.

Donald Trump, Jr. tweeted this on Sept. 19:

In response to this, Mars, Inc., who distributes Skittles, tweeted out:

In an even bigger slap in the face to the hateful campaign, the photo of the bowl of skittles was actually taken by David Kittos, a refugee from Cypress. 

Kittos woke up on Sept. 19 to find his picture all over the news. His copyright policy had been disregarded as the photo was taken off Flickr.

"This was not done with my permission, I don't support his politics and I would never take his money to use it," Mr. Kittos told the BBC.

Trump's campaign is trying to cover their mistake by placing the blame on the public for the outbreak of this tweet.

Why Skittles? Why use it to attack the refugees who have had to leave their homelands to be safe? Have some compassion and regard for others. 

Lead Image Credit: Donald Trump Jr. via Twitter