This Inspiring 71-Year-Old Woman Is Getting Her College Diploma

By Taylor Lang - May 12 2016

After starting college at Georgetown University fifty years ago, Joan Matos is finally graduating from the University of Maryland at the age of seventy-one. According to NBC Washington, she is going to walk across the stage to receive her Bachelor of Arts degree for Humanities.

Matos says that after her first year of college, she left to start a life with her husband. They had a child, and then eventually had four more kids. Financially, they were not able to afford college on top of providing for their family. As the kids got older, the financial priority then became sending each of them to college. All of her children have a degree and fully completed their education.

NBC Washington

After her husband passed away ten years ago, Matos decided to go back to school and pursue her dream of finishing her schooling. Math is the hardest subject for her, so the last two years have been a bit of a struggle. But, she has accomplished what she set out to do, and will be graduating this weekend.

Matos hopes to inspire people to pursue their dreams, no matter how old they are. Congrats to her for accomplishing her goal!

Lead Image Credit: NBC Washington