There Will Be No More Valedictorians In North Carolina High Schools

By Taylor Lang - May 23 2016

Did you have a valedictorian or salutatorian for your high school graduation? North Carolina is one of the states that is changing that, according to Independent Journal.

Many teachers, students, parents and board members believe that these two positions cause a lot of negative fighting and competition between classmates. It also promotes the idea of taking easy classes to boost GPA rather than taking challenging courses to further education.

Starting in 2019, high schools would begin using a new system that recognizes seniors with Latin titles such as cum laude if they have a weighted GPA of at least 3.75. . .recognizing students with a weighted GPA of 4.25 or higher with the distinction of summa cum laude. Seniors with a weighted GPA of 4.0 to 4.249 would receive the distinction of magna cum laude.

Like all changes, this is causing a lot of mixed reactions on social media. There are those who agree with the change, those who think it is stupid, and those who just don’t care.

Twitter via Independent Journal
Twitter via Independent Journal
Twitter via Independent Journal

There are other high schools around the country that do this new system. Most of the time, different sash colors designate the different sections that students got. (For example, my high school in New York has gold for magna cum laude, silver for summa cum laude and bronze for cum laude.) For most schools, it isn’t a big deal, but for the entire state of North Carolina to make this change...that is a big step in making sure that all students are celebrated.

Lead Image Credit: Day 149/365 May 29th 2010; Makena Zayle Gadient via Flickr Commons