Display 45 rex castor

The Bizarre Statement About College Freshmen That Made This University President Resign

By Taylor Lang - Mar 02 2016

The former President of Mount Saint Mary’s University, a small college in Maryland, resigned Monday, February 29, reported The Detroit News. The reason will shock you.

Simon Newman, the former University President, equated freshmen students to drowning bunnies.

Twitter

Allegedly, Newman wanted to maintain a high student retention rate, which is looked at when colleges are ranked, and so he was planning to offer struggling students academic tutoring or a full refund of their tuition if they decided to leave the school. Critics are arguing that he was trying to weed out the students rather than help them. An email had stated that he was hoping to lose 20-25 students before having to report the enrollment number to the federal government.

A faculty member did not agree with his plan. His exact reported statement to them in rebuttal: “This is hard for you because you think of the students as cuddly bunnies, but you can’t. You just have to drown the bunnies … put a Glock to their heads.”

Needless to say, the student body, as well as some of the faculty, became very upset over this statement. When Newman resigned, they celebrated the news and the fact that they had proved that this kind of behavior would not stand on college campuses.

Twitter

There's definitely a lot of weirdness in this story. 

Lead Image Credit: Wikicommons