Display landscape 1461219317 10580118 10153903609863275 4879837558032631415 n

These Girls Are Honoring Their Friend Who Lost Battle to Cancer By Wearing Her Prom Dress

By Taylor Lang - May 10 2016

Catherine Malatesta was a beautiful high school girl from Arlington, MA who was loved by everyone who knew her. She was bubbly, smart, and the life of the party. She played field hockey and was on the crew team.

In the fall of 2014, she complained to her parents that she was having some pain in her shoulder. According to ABC News, it turned out to be epithelioid sarcoma, a rare and aggressive cancer. She started treatment, but the cancer had spread to her spine and her lungs. She passed away on August 2, 2015.

Because of treatments, she missed out on a lot of important things in her life, but she was able to experience prom. She wore a beautiful blue halter-style prom dress, had her makeup done, and wore a wig done up in a braided updo. She told her mother that “for the first time in a long time, I actually feel beautiful.” She danced on the dance floor and was able to enjoy her time of being a true teenager.

In her honor, her friends, who all go to different schools and are different ages, are wearing the same blue dress to their proms and balls. Even though they are all various body types, the dress magically fits them with a few temporary adjustments. Wow.

They want to honor their friend and they all feel as if it is a healing way for them to be connected with her while they do something that she also enjoyed. Over seven different girls are wearing her dress throughout the next five years.

Lauren Hourican, a friend of Catherine's, plans to wear the dress to her senior prom May 20. "She'll be back out on the dance floor where she belongs," Lauren told the AP.

Lead Image Credit:

Want more Fresh U? Like us on Facebook.