Study Shows 1 in 10 California State Students Are Homeless

By Taylor Lang - Jun 21 2016

People tend to overlook the fact that students who are looking for a higher education can also be homeless and not have a reliable source of food. They think that because they are trying to educate themselves, they must have enough money to accurately accommodate themselves. This is wrong. According to a new study commissioned by California State University Chancellor Timothy White, 1 in 10 California students are homeless, and 1 in 5 students don't have steady access to enough food. 

There are 23 public universities in California, and White is taking a stand in order to help all of the students who fit one of these two categories. Many students who are homeless feel ashamed of their situations, so they don't ask for help. Those who live in their cars or couch surf sometimes don't consider themselves homeless, either. 

Initial findings indicated that an estimated 8% to 12% of Cal State’s students are homeless, and 21% to 24% are food insecure.

The research also found that 11 of the campuses have some sort of support for homeless people or a food pantry for their students. 

Fresno State, for example, launched a "cupboard" last fall that tracks leftover food from catered campus events — and developed an app that notifies students when food is available. 

This study is not over; it is planned to continue for at least 2 more years. The study can be read here. The goal is to continue gathering statistics and improving campuses so that more students can focus on their studies rather than how to make ends meet. Thanks to White for making a difference in the lives of college students who need help.

Lead Image Credit: Meriam Library- California State University; Daderot via Wikimedia Commons