Display giphy  3

Skipping Class: How Much of Your Tuition Are You Wasting?

By Taylor Lang - Feb 28 2016

USA College Today decided that they were going to do the math to find out how much on average the cost of skipping a class costs to different students and why most people end up deciding to skip.

The results will make you rethink your decision to sleep through your next class.

On average, college tuition for public universities is about $9,139 and private universities cost $31,231. By doing the simple math for the average college student take 15 credits, it deducts to each class costing $30 for a public university and $104 for a private university.

Now, think of how many times you skip class in a semester. The average is 30 classes per student per semester. By the time graduation rolls around, this equates to 240 skipped classes. You may not want to figure out how much money this equates USA College Today did it for you.

For a student who graduates from a public university, they will have skipped the equivalent of $7,200. The cost becomes even larger for a private university student with an equivalence of $24,960. That is a lot of money, especially for college students who always complain about being broke.

Now, depending on your major, you may have different reasons for skipping a class. Many people who have lectures taught by a not-so-good professor will take that time to teach themselves the material through their textbook. They believe that this is a better use of their time. Or, there might be something important that you need to do that takes precedence.

Other people decide to spend the class time sleeping in, playing video games, or trying to get over a hangover from the previous night. It might be that the class that they are missing is not important in their eyes, or that they just decided to face the consequences of skipping at a later date.

Skipping for some people is easy. But if you have classes that are centered around class discussions, it becomes way more important to be there. Smaller classes also tend to take attendance and have participation grades. 

So the next time that you decide to skip a class, think for a minute about whether or not it is worth it – and how much money it's actually costing you. 

Lead Image: giphy