Display sundevil 0

Arizona State University Takes Back Scholarship Hours Before One Student Started Classes

By Taylor Lang - Sep 09 2016

Imagine walking to class. You have just transferred to a new university and it's your first day. Then you receive a call saying that the scholarship you're relying on to get a four-year degree has been revoked.

This was the horrible reality for Eduardo Lujan-Olivas, according to Mother Jones. 

Lujan-Olivas is an undocumented student who four years ago was the beneficiary of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), an immigration policy that allows some undocumented people who came to the United States as children to defer deportation for some time.

Olivas was told that he was going to receive a $20,000 scholarship, but Arizona voters passed Proposition 300, which doesn't allow undocumented immigrants to receive financial aid from the state. Even though he is the beneficiary of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (an immigration policy that undocumented children to defer deportation for some time), there was a miscommunication between his previous college and Arizona State University. 

The Financial Aid Center gave Olivas ideas, but he was frustrated when none of them seemed feasible. He created a GoFundMe page in order to try and find some monetary help.

"I cannot describe the frustration, disappointment, and confusion I felt when I received the phone call," he wrote.

Arizona has not been very kind to immigrants in the past few years. And with the possibility of Trump's harsh immigration policies, Olivas has a not-so-positive outlook on his future. 

Lead Image Credit: Mother Jones