Display 800px ringbound notebook

Liberal Arts Degrees Have A Better Chance At Getting A Job Than You Think

By Taylor Lang - Jun 09 2016

For a long time, there has been a stereotype that college students with liberal arts degrees are not as equipped to handle the real world as people with other majors. Students and parents are concerned about the job market after graduation. According to the Chronicle and Burning Glass Technologies, it is actually easier for people to get a job with a liberal arts degree if they are specialized in another way with a minor of certain techniques.

Along with the degree, minors or specializations in these areas will help get a job:

1. Social Media Skills

2. Data Analysis

Data showed that employers had 137,000 additional jobs when comparing a liberal arts degree to a liberal arts degree in combination with data analysis skills. The beginning pay was on average, $2,700 more.

3. Program Skills (Java, Adobe)

4. Computer Science Languages

With an additional skill in computer science languages, 568,000 more job opportunities arise and the beginning pay increases $6,000.

5. Management 

"The reality," says Mr. Sigelman, "is the liberal arts are really close" to what employers are looking for. The findings, he says, are an opportunity for traditional liberal-arts programs "to get past the lazy debate" over the value of such education.

All of the students who are graduating with a liberal arts degree should be proud of themselves and their accomplishments! Congrats on doing what you love and good luck in the future!

Lead Image Credit: Ringbound Notebook via Wikicommons